District Transportation Liaison
Brenda D. Jergens
FIRST STUDENT TRANSPORTATION SERVICES
Jason Calloway, Branch Manager
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
(AFTER HOURS CONTACT)
Shirley Gabbard, Safety Manager
Boundary Changes 2016-2017: The DeKalb School Board of Education adopted the boundary change recommendations on Monday, February 1, 2016. As a result, the upcoming 2016-2017 school year will reflect those.
Bus Stop Guidelines
- Bus Stops are placed in a location that is best for all riders in your area. Several of our sub-divisions do not have sidewalks, and some are poorly lit. Therefore, it is important to remember that parents are responsible for the safety of the student to and from the bus stop.
- Bus stops for students will be placed in the same location (or across the street) as the stops on the morning and afternoon routes to avoid confusing the children and keeping ride times to a reasonable length.
- If a child needs to be dropped or picked up at a daycare or alternative location—it must be within the school boundary in which your child attends and on a consistent basis (5 days a week). Alternating days, intermittent days must be left to the responsibility of the parent to transport. The necessary paperwork to accommodate these types of requests are available on the district website, (www.dist428.org) the Administration Center located at 901 S 4th Street or at each school location. Please allow up to 5 business days to process your request.
- Students must be at the stop at least 5-10 minutes before the scheduled pick-up and drop off time. Do not wait inside the house for the bus to stop. If the driver does not see anyone at the stop, he/she will continue on without stopping.
- School Buses have many "blind spots" where the driver is unable to see children running for the bus. While it may seem as though the driver looked at the child running for the bus--in fact the driver is checking the mirrors and will not see the child. For the safety of the child--Please be on time.
- When waiting for the bus, stand still and at least 10 feet away from the bus stop as the school bus approaches. Never run towards the bus.
- If your child has to cross the road—ALWAYS do so in front of the bus and WAIT until the driver signals to your child that it is safe to cross. As always, look both ways before crossing the street.
- Dropped books, papers, or toys should never be retrieved from under the busy. Let the driver know if something fell under the bus. The driver will be very happy to help.
Never—Ever—Run after a moving bus! If your child misses the bus, call the transportation office at (815)754-2199 or First Student at (815)748-2901.